SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — A construction worker using a boring machine at an underground site in San Jose Wednesday morning was shocked by a live wire, sending him to the hospital, fire and PG&E officials said.
Firefighters responded at 9:55 a.m. to the area of Kiely Boulevard and Norwalk Drive behind a nearby Lion Supermarket, San Jose fire spokesman Joshua Padron said.
According to PG&E spokeswoman Tamar Sarkissian, a third-party contractor was operating the boring machine when he made contact with an underground electric power line.
Padron said the worker, a 40-year-old man, was taken to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. He did not immediately know the extent of the man’s injuries.
PG&E crews responded and de-energized the power line, Sarkissian said. Padron said the scene was declared under control within about an hour.
About 800 PG&E customers in the area briefly lost power as a result of the incident but had it restored quickly, according to Sarkissian. Final repairs on the line could take several hours to complete, she said shortly before 1 p.m.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the injured party,” Sarkissian said.
She urged contractors not to use heavy machinery like a boring machine when an underground power line is nearby and said anyone doing a digging project should call 811 beforehand to mark any underground utility lines.
TM and © Copyright 2017 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.
Source : http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/09/20/worker-using-boring-machine-in-san-jose-shocked-by-underground-live-wire/