A father and son were electrocuted after the ladder they used to work on a chimney touched a high-voltage power line.
Timothy Lee Chittum Sr., 55, and his son, Timothy Lee Chittum Jr., 26, both of Lynchburg, died at the scene, Lynchburg Police said.
A metal industrial ladder still leaned against the brick chimney of the two-story house on the 200 block of Rowland Drive off Rivermont Avenue while officers investigated the scene on the cellphones of the two men continued to ring.
Lynchburg Police Department and Lynchburg Fire Department responded to the house on Rowland Drive at 3:15 p.m. after neighbors reported two people lying in the yard.
First responders found the Chittums unresponsive and not breathing, according to a news release.
After interviewing witnesses, investigators concluded the two men were doing chimney work on the house when the ladder struck a high-voltage line running between two properties.
Both men were declared dead at the scene. Their bodies have been taken to the Medical Examiner's Office in Roanoke for an autopsy and confirmation on the cause of death.
A neighbor declined to comment on the incident, saying it was "too disturbing."
Lynchburg Lt. R. D. Carson said the men were not the homeowners.
Appalachian Power and Occupation Safety and Health Administration representatives responded to the scene and are investigating the incident along with Lynchburg Police Department.
Anyone with information is asked to call Det. T.C. Barley at (434) 455-6162 or Crime Stoppers at 1-888-798-5900.
Source : http://www.newsadvance.com/townnews/social_services/two-men-shocked-killed-by-power-line/article_bef990b7-0aca-5b63-b44e-4c5894eef255.html